The Guidance Counselling Office within Loreto College, St. Stephen’s Green provides support for all students in three main areas:
– Personal and Social Guidance
– Educational Guidance
– Career and Vocational Guidance
Personal and Social Guidance
This area empowers students to make decisions, solve problems, change behaviour and resolve issues in their lives, through –
- individual counselling,
- group counselling,
- referral to a counsellor or other outside agency.
This area of Guidance recognises students’ different learning abilities and their inherent talents. Each student is encouraged to optimise their learning skills. This involves –
- helping students with choices as with subjects, courses and levels,
- aiding motivation and management learning,
- showing students how to use available resources, study skills and exam techniques,
- demonstrating how to use computer aided research.
Career and Vocational Guidance
This area of Guidance helps students to identify career and vocational goals by developing their self-analysis skills and sourcing and managing career information. This involves –
- having an understanding of the pathways into higher education,
- making and carrying out appropriate life choices and plans,
- practising interview techniques, CV writing and cover letters,
- identifying strengths and weakness from the results of various interest and aptitude tests,
- becoming aware of employment opportunities.