The slides from the recent Parents Association AGM can be accessed via the link below. In addition Senior Dietican Cliodhna Kirwan gave a very informative talk on healthy eating after the AGM. Her presentation and some interesting lunchbox ideas can also be accessed below.
SUMMARY OF PARENTS ASSOCATION MINUTES SEPTEMBER 2016
-Pastoral/Religious: School years opening mass was held on 21st September for all the years. A few of the 6th year girls went on a Diocesan pilgrimage to Lourdes to help the pilgrims. The entire 6th year classes will go on an overnight retreat to Lough Derg in the coming weeks.
-Academics: Congratulations to all the former 6th years students on their great leaving cert results. The PA are busy planning for a memorable pre-Debs reception in the school. The current 6th years will attend higher options in the RDS. Ipads are in place for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd years. Ms. Barrett is the year head for the 1st years who are reported to be settling in very well. We are eagerly awaiting the JC results.
-New Staff: Welcome to the new staff – Ms Aisling Murray – Geography, Ms Ciara Beatty- Spanish and French, Mr Mark Gleeson – Irish, Ms Inara Zaeurs –Irish and Home Economics, Mr Sean Wogan – Business and Cultural Activities. New classroom assistant appointed – Ms Sarah Mc Andrew – 1st years. New part time chaplain appointed – Ms Stephenie Curtis. Temporary librarian appointed – Ms Michelle Davis
-Sports News: There are so many clubs and lunchtime activities started and the 1st years are busy deciding which ones they would like to become involved with. All activities and schedules can be found on the Loreto web page.
-Other News: There are plans to get a second water fountain for the lunch room.
-Speakers: We have a guest speaker (dietician) invited to give a talk at the AGM on how to ensure our daughters are eating a healthy diet to support their busy school lives. The PA will be looking for new members to come on board and join their team.
Loreto College Parents’ Association Annual General Meeting will take place on Wednesday, September 28th 2016 at 7.30pm. All Welcome.
1. Minutes of 2015 AGM
2. Chairperson’s Report
3. Treasurer’s Report
4. Principal’s Report
5. Board of Management Report
6. Election of new Executive Committee Members
Loreto Parents Association would like to invite all parents to a talk which will be given by John Sharry on April 6th 2016 at 7.30pm. John Sharry is a Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist, Social Worker, Author and Co-Founder of Parents Plus Charity Ireland Mental Health Care.
The talk is titled: 'Helping Teenagers make Good Choices about Alcohol, Drugs and Sex'. Teenagers and young people are under increased pressure to become involved in harmful and risky activities whether it is smoking, drinking, early sexual activity or drug taking. Parents are right to be concerned and they have a key role to play in keeping their children safe. Drawing on up-to-date research, John Sharry will present principles for parents interested in knowing how to help their children remain safe as they grow up and to divert them from problematic drinking and drug taking etc. The focus is on prevention, showing parents the best steps they can take to protect their children and avoid problems in the first place.
We are sure that this will prove to be very informative and are looking forward to seeing you there.
A social evening for all First Year parents and guardians has been organised for this Thursday February 11th at 8pm, in the Alfie Byrne Bar, downstairs in the Conrad Hotel. The first year parents reps hope to see everyone there.
The First Year Parents Social Evening organised by the Parents Association has been postponed until January. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Social evenings have been organised as listed below for parents and guardians of students in the following years:
1st year - Postponed until January
2nd year - Wednesday November 25th - 7.30pm in the Westbury Hotel
4th year - Thursday December 10th - 7.30pm in the Westbury Hotel
6th year - Thursday December 3rd - 7.30pm in the Westbury Hotel
Dates for social evenings for the other years will be posted very soon.
The 6th year Parents' Association representitives are organising a social gathering for all 6th year parents on Friday 15th May at 10:30 pm after 6th Year Graduation in the Alex Cocktail Bar (Front Lounge Mezzanine ), Conrad Hotel, Earlsfort Terrace. All are welcome.
The first year Parents' Association reps have planned a night out on Thursday May 21st at 8pm in the Westbury Hotel. All first year parents are welcome.
The Loreto on the Green Past Pupils’ Association is holding a charity fashion show in the school on Thursday, 5th March.
The proceeds from this event will go towards:-
- Loreto projects in Kenya - Nyumbani Orphanage, Nairobi, which cares for children to young adults who are HIV positive, Nyumbani Village near Kitui, which cares for children orphaned because of the AIDS epidemic, and Lea Toto Outreach Programme, which looks after families in the Nairobi slums, affected by AIDS.
- The weekly Soup Run, organised by students and staff in Loreto College, St Stephen’s Green, after school each Friday afternoon, distributing tea, coffee, soup & sandwiches to people in need who live on the streets in Dublin’s inner city.
We invite you to participate in this very special event, featuring the designs of some of our past pupils – Neilí Mulcahy, Sonya Lennon (Lennon Courtney), Marians of Boyle, Jewellery by Melissa Curry, along with Vintage Couture, 53 Degrees North, milliner Suzie Mahony, Cari´s Closet, Olivia Danielle and the TY Junk Kouture project. We expect an audience of 400 at the fashion show, and it promises to be a high profile event. We have engaged the professional expertise of Mandy Maher and the Catwalk Model Agency.
We ask you to consider becoming involved through-
- Sponsorship of the staging, light, sound, ramp, hair & make-up etc.
- Raffle prize donation
- Contribution to goody bags.
- Advertising in the event programme
- Sponsoring the pre-show wine reception
- Joining us on the night - Tickets for the show cost €20, and may be bought through the GPPA website (http://bit.ly/GPPAFashionShowloretothegreenpastpupils.ie) or by sending a cheque made payable to the GPPA to C.A. Dooley, 28 Leinster Park, Harold’s Cross, Dublin 6W, along with a contact phone number. We’d be delighted to see you there! Tickets will also be available to buy in the school.
We would be delighted to hear of any other ways you might like to support this special event.
Please don’t hesitate to contact Ciara Freaney (087 6915965) to discuss the options available and for further information.
The Green Past Pupils’ Association
At our monthly PA meeting on Tuesday last, 13th January, the Deputy Vice-Principal, Ms. Maria O'Leary expressed her sincere thanks to the parents for your wonderful generosity in the Christmas Hamper collection. So plentiful were the donations that extra hampers were created.
Well done and thanks to all who so kindly donated!
The Parents' Association
• First Year Parents’ Introduction Evening, hosted by the PA for the incoming First year parents, last September, followed by light refreshments.
• AGM held at the end of September, including our Guest Speaker, Ms Caroline Spillane, CEO of the Medical Council of Ireland, who gave a thought-provoking and most interesting talk on ‘Work-Life and Parenting Balance’.
• Social Event – Parents’/ Guardians’ and Daughters’ Guided Walk on the Hill of Tara in early October.
• Pre-Debs Reception for the Class of 2014, their Partners and Parents, hosted by the PA in the School in October.
• Careers Information Evening organised by the PA in November for the 4th, 5th and 6th year students, in an informal ‘Learning about the Day in the Life of a wide variety of Careers’ format.
• Social Get-Togethers organised by the Parent PA Reps of each year, with, to date, only the Fourth year parent get-together yet to happen.
• GreenScene – Christmas term edition published in December 2014.
• DVD – the production of the DVD for the Class of 2015 continues in liaison with the Sixth Year Students.