The Parents Association was delighted to welcome Professor Jim Lucey to talk to parents on Tuesday 13 March on the topic of Building Confidence and Resilience in our Teenagers. Prof Lucey gave a very engaging and informative talk and was extremely generous with his time and expertise. He referred us to numerous sources of information on the status of mental health in Ireland and directed us to some tools for improving our own and our children’s mental health. The material referenced can all be found in the slides below. The main take away for parents was the importance of wellness and the fact that without mental health there is no health. The undoubted highlight of the evening was when Professor Lucey extolled the (scientifically proven) benefits of singing for good mental health and had all assembled singing “Ireland’s Call” in full voice, probably a first for the Assembly Hall!
Friday, March 09, 2018 in Parents Association
• Mock Exams finished on 9th February. Students have received some of their exams. They should be all returned by early next week.
• 9/2/18 - Access Reading Test took place for all 1st Years.
• 9/2/18 - 5th Year Spanish class visited the Instituto Cervantes for a cultural visit.
• 5th-9th February - The Lockers Programme took place for 2nd Years under the charge of Ms Kelly.
• Kolkata group returned on Thursday 15th February and all involved had a brilliant experience.
• The TY Italy trip took place from 9th Feb -12th Feb and was a great success.
• 19th February - U18 3 by 3 Basketball Competition took place in Limerick.
• 21/2/18 - Leinster Cross Country took place in Santry.
• 21/2/18 - Green School Audit took place and we’re awaiting confirmation.
• 1st Year Art class (Ms O’Reilly’s) are working with the RHA Gallery on an Art Project.
• 22/2/18 - 2nd Year PTM.
• DVD Photos of 6th Years-23/2/18 - Tom will take remaining groups. Dates tbc due to snow.
• 26/2/18 - 1st Year Parents 2018 Information Evening.
• Condolences to Ms. Maverley and all her family on the death of her father Tony-23/3/18.
• 27/2/18 - ARUP Engineering Visit by 3 Fifth Years.
• TY Activities - Fire Safety/Mindfulness/Song School.
• 28/2/18-2/3/18 - School closed due to Snow.
• J.Cert Orals are continuing in Irish, German, Spanish and French. Rearrangements have been made for those who missed their oral due to snow.
• L.Cert Mock Orals are currently being conducted in all languages.
Well done to the 2nd years who competed in the regional finals of the Dublin City Student Enterprise Awards in Croke Park today Tuesday the 6th March. Congratulations to Slickfix who won the Intermediate Category and will go on to represent Dublin in the Nationals.
Best of luck also to our 3rd year team of Aoife O’Flynn, Katrina Khodzinska, Eva Hayes and Anna Capri, who are competing in the BSTAI Business Quiz in UCD this evening (6th March).
2nd Year Study Skills. - 2B-16/4/18, 2G-18/4/18, 2M-10/4/18, 2T-11/4/18.
● Kolkata Immersion Experience-2nd Feb-16th Feb
● Blessing of the Hands-Friday 26th January.
● Folk Group meetings-Thursdays.
● TY Gorta Talk-11th January
● Wellbeing Week--Positive post its/negative thoughts bin/Health and wellbeing reflections/Drop Everything and Relax/Walk in my Shoes/Thankful Thursday.
● RSE Talk for parents and 3rd Years.
● TY Community care-29th Jan-9th Feb.
● Mission Possible meetings on Fridays.
● House Event for January.
● Mary Ward Week-22/1-18--26/1/18
● Amnesty meetings on Thursdays.
● 6th year prayer service-25/1/18
● TY Mindfulness-23rd and 25th Jan.
● GPPA Mass-28/1/18
● Sodality Mass in the chapel-2/2/18
● Young Scientist Projects and awards-10th-12th Jan 2018.
● 6th Year Study Skills-12/1/18
● Concern Debates-15/1/18
● JCT Cluster Day.
● TY Aptitude Testing-for students who missed December tests.
● French Theatre Workshop-17th Jan-TY and 5th Years.
● 6th Year Careers Talk-CAO-19/1/18
● LC Options for TYs-22/1/18-Parents-30/1/18
● JC Information night-3rd years-22/1/18 and 2nd years-5/2/18.
● 5th Year PTM-25/1/18
● Mock exams-29th Jan-9th Feb.
● IWISH STEM Conference for all 5th years-30/1/18
● AD ASTRA AWARD for Nicole Hemeryck-30/1/18
● Update on the proposed Performance Space-Multi Purpose space
● Brickwork- work should be completed within 5 weeks
● Roof repairs work should be completed within 5 weeks.
● TY Activities-Film School and Natural History Museum.
● DCU Cross Country and East Leinsters in Avondale.
● TY Glenlola visits-12th and 19th Jan.
● All Ireland-U-19 Final-Winners
● Condolences to the Walsh family and Lily in TY on the death of Mr Walsh.
● Cyberbullying talks for 1st years-Tuesday 30th January.
● Tag Rugby-began on 30th Jan.
● TY Trip to Italy-Friday 9th-Monday 12th February
● Lockers Programme for 2nd Years.
The slides from the recent Parents Association AGM can be accessed via the link below. In addition Senior Dietican Cliodhna Kirwan gave a very informative talk on healthy eating after the AGM. Her presentation and some interesting lunchbox ideas can also be accessed below.
SUMMARY OF PARENTS ASSOCATION MINUTES SEPTEMBER 2016
-Pastoral/Religious: School years opening mass was held on 21st September for all the years. A few of the 6th year girls went on a Diocesan pilgrimage to Lourdes to help the pilgrims. The entire 6th year classes will go on an overnight retreat to Lough Derg in the coming weeks.
-Academics: Congratulations to all the former 6th years students on their great leaving cert results. The PA are busy planning for a memorable pre-Debs reception in the school. The current 6th years will attend higher options in the RDS. Ipads are in place for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd years. Ms. Barrett is the year head for the 1st years who are reported to be settling in very well. We are eagerly awaiting the JC results.
-New Staff: Welcome to the new staff – Ms Aisling Murray – Geography, Ms Ciara Beatty- Spanish and French, Mr Mark Gleeson – Irish, Ms Inara Zaeurs –Irish and Home Economics, Mr Sean Wogan – Business and Cultural Activities. New classroom assistant appointed – Ms Sarah Mc Andrew – 1st years. New part time chaplain appointed – Ms Stephenie Curtis. Temporary librarian appointed – Ms Michelle Davis
-Sports News: There are so many clubs and lunchtime activities started and the 1st years are busy deciding which ones they would like to become involved with. All activities and schedules can be found on the Loreto web page.
-Other News: There are plans to get a second water fountain for the lunch room.
-Speakers: We have a guest speaker (dietician) invited to give a talk at the AGM on how to ensure our daughters are eating a healthy diet to support their busy school lives. The PA will be looking for new members to come on board and join their team.
Loreto College Parents’ Association Annual General Meeting will take place on Wednesday, September 28th 2016 at 7.30pm. All Welcome.
1. Minutes of 2015 AGM
2. Chairperson’s Report
3. Treasurer’s Report
4. Principal’s Report
5. Board of Management Report
6. Election of new Executive Committee Members
Loreto Parents Association would like to invite all parents to a talk which will be given by John Sharry on April 6th 2016 at 7.30pm. John Sharry is a Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist, Social Worker, Author and Co-Founder of Parents Plus Charity Ireland Mental Health Care.
The talk is titled: 'Helping Teenagers make Good Choices about Alcohol, Drugs and Sex'. Teenagers and young people are under increased pressure to become involved in harmful and risky activities whether it is smoking, drinking, early sexual activity or drug taking. Parents are right to be concerned and they have a key role to play in keeping their children safe. Drawing on up-to-date research, John Sharry will present principles for parents interested in knowing how to help their children remain safe as they grow up and to divert them from problematic drinking and drug taking etc. The focus is on prevention, showing parents the best steps they can take to protect their children and avoid problems in the first place.
We are sure that this will prove to be very informative and are looking forward to seeing you there.
A social evening for all First Year parents and guardians has been organised for this Thursday February 11th at 8pm, in the Alfie Byrne Bar, downstairs in the Conrad Hotel. The first year parents reps hope to see everyone there.
The First Year Parents Social Evening organised by the Parents Association has been postponed until January. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Social evenings have been organised as listed below for parents and guardians of students in the following years:
1st year - Postponed until January
2nd year - Wednesday November 25th - 7.30pm in the Westbury Hotel
4th year - Thursday December 10th - 7.30pm in the Westbury Hotel
6th year - Thursday December 3rd - 7.30pm in the Westbury Hotel
Dates for social evenings for the other years will be posted very soon.
The 6th year Parents' Association representitives are organising a social gathering for all 6th year parents on Friday 15th May at 10:30 pm after 6th Year Graduation in the Alex Cocktail Bar (Front Lounge Mezzanine ), Conrad Hotel, Earlsfort Terrace. All are welcome.